tof_team

Apalachicola Inshore And Nearshore

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Carrabelle, FL soon and have not fished this area before. I have and will be doing due diligence to learn about this area online as much as possible prior to my trip. I have some waypoints for inshore and offshore that a friend of mine has given me and have ordered a nautical map of area to have on board. I wanted to ask you folks how the fishing is around Dog Island...particularly around southern end of Dog Island and between Dog and St George Islands. Any advice fishing and otherwise such as things to be aware of would be greatly appreciated. I bottom fish a lot and fish with popping corks. Thanks in advance...look forward to learning from you all.

Duuno if my trips to the western end of SGI apply, but in light of the lack of other replies, I'll relate my experiences.  I have chartered inshore trips in late March to early April in each of the past 3 years. We fished the western end of SGI from the bridge, then around the west end to the gulf, did a little drift casting in the surf and back into the bay through the Government Cut.  Using live and dead shrimp on the bottom, we had good hauls of sheepshead, black drum, trout, whiting, and reds ( more over slot than in slot). (The catch of sharks and catfish were minimal) On the occasions in which I threw jigs (with- and without popping corks) I caught flounder, trout and undersize reds.  I'm told that there is great pompano, tarpon,and goliath grouper fishing during the summer.