Sign in to follow this  
deathroll

The Mullet Run And The Bay

Lots and lots of boats/guys out working the mullet run in Tampa Bay. These guys work hard; stay out 24/7. They're all throwing cast nets, no big seines or gill nets or anything. And they are getting mullet but, there are no other fish out there. Yeah, I know, maybe it's me, and maybe it is, but me and my buddies are fishing waters we know, and yet, nuttin honey, a few ladies and a couple of puffers but no real fish. The water's not cold yet, still above 70 but there just aren't any trout or reds. Anybody know anything about the mullet run and if/how it affects recreational fishing in Tampa Bay?

I have..I went out on Wednesday to an ordinarily very productive spot, and I completely agree with your observation...the flat(s) was definitely devoid of fish, for sure....I guess they moved into the backwaters, being that the overnight temperatures are pretty cold these days

Thanks oakleaf. I appreciate not only the response but confirmation of the sincere observation that I made while out fishing. Seems strange that EVERYTHING would disappear, especially as the water is not really cold as yet.

Man if you think there's no fish in the bay, then you need to rethink "fishing".

There's so many redfish it would make your head spin, same with trout, snook, etc!

Not sure where u fish and I don't care, but perhaps moving to a different area would help.

It's called fishing, not "guaranteeing" lol.

Man if you think there's no fish in the bay, then you need to rethink "fishing".

There's so many redfish it would make your head spin, same with trout, snook, etc!

Not sure where u fish and I don't care, but perhaps moving to a different area would help.

It's called fishing, not "guaranteeing" lol.

Well man, sounds like you know a lot more than us fishermen visiting the site here. That's great. Thing is, your contention doesn't quite match up with my actual fishing observations, or the observations of my fishing buddies or of oakleaf here on the Online Fisherman. Been fishing Tampa Bay, by boat, for 15 years now, average at least once a week, motoring and fishing from the Gandy/Weedon Island area south across all the flats, to Pinellas Point, under the Skyway and along and out past Ft. Desoto. Use live bait and an array of artificials. And I/we are not finding fish right now. So good to get your input though. Now let me get this straight, it's called "fishing", not "gauranteeing", right; so very helpful.

I think the fish are confused with it being 85° in mid December. From when I have been out the fish are not in Winter pattern but the tides are. I did sneak out the other day for an hour and had just enough water to fish a Spring spot of mine and got a 27" red. My Winter spots were not producing just yet. We need a good cold snap for things to fall into place. All just my opinion of course.

I think the fish are confused with it being 85° in mid December. From when I have been out the fish are not in Winter pattern but the tides are. I did sneak out the other day for an hour and had just enough water to fish a Spring spot of mine and got a 27" red. My Winter spots were not producing just yet. We need a good cold snap for things to fall into place. All just my opinion of course.

That totally makes sense....and congrats on that beauty of a red! :-)  

Well, we are supposed to get a very quick little cold snap this weekend. Gonna heat right up again Monday. We'll see if 2 to 3 days makes any kind of difference. NICE fish by the way!

Well man, sounds like you know a lot more than us fishermen visiting the site here. That's great. Thing is, your contention doesn't quite match up with my actual fishing observations, or the observations of my fishing buddies or of oakleaf here on the Online Fisherman. Been fishing Tampa Bay, by boat, for 15 years now, average at least once a week, motoring and fishing from the Gandy/Weedon Island area south across all the flats, to Pinellas Point, under the Skyway and along and out past Ft. Desoto. Use live bait and an array of artificials. And I/we are not finding fish right now. So good to get your input though. Now let me get this straight, it's called "fishing", not "gauranteeing", right; so very helpful.

Lmao! You types of guys kill me! I'm sorry you cannot find fish. Sounds like a personal problem. I fish all over the bay and have found fish on most every flat. You guys can call me full of shit all you want, I still laugh. Get out and actually fish, and you will find fish. It's amazing that you have the ability to say there's "no fish in Tampa bay" seriously I'm wiping tears away! I think I saw 300 over slot reds just today while poling along 2 miles of flats in the bay... Go figure! i must be out of my mind seeing that many fish in one day at one spot. Let alone last week on the complete other side of the bay saw at least that many reds!! If you need coordinates, let me know, then post up how many you can find with that info. Lol. Killin me guys.

If any of you remember. This is why I always said "For ME" The fish didn't show up today "FOR ME". Or, how about, the fishing was so slow today. "FOR ME". I also like this one. If you think your the best fisherman, stop fishing and start looking around. LOL!  Merry Christmas Everyone! From the Eastern Shore of MD.

There's def not a shortage on reds in the bay right now but getting those spooky fish to eat is a whole different story. My advise is to go out of your comfort zones and explore new spots/waters. This will only make you a better angler. Good luck!

Good advice!  I'm planning on heading out again on Thursday and will look forward to checking out some some new waters

I'm seeing plenty of fish from my platform in their normal haunts, but they are lathargic most likely due to the number of cold fronts weve had the lasf few weeks. Equalize your swimbladder on your own time mr Red I want to catch you!

In addition they just may not be in your area get out the old gold spoon and do some casting.

If any of you remember. This is why I always said "For ME" The fish didn't show up today "FOR ME". Or, how about, the fishing was so slow today. "FOR ME". I also like this one. If you think your the best fisherman, stop fishing and start looking around. LOL!  Merry Christmas Everyone! From the Eastern Shore of MD.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Andy.  We miss you!

The fish are out there. Tammy and I went out last Saturday and she got one slam and I got a double slam. 8-10 snook, 3reds, and a mess of speckled trout were caught. We fished where the flats meet the mangroves.

You mentioned the mullet guys heading out. Yeah, I've seen a few boats that are heading out in the evening with nets stacked on the front of the boats, and they aren't cast nets. :angry: Cast nets aren't that big. I couldn't see any reg numbers on the boats either. One of the boats, on trailer, pulled out onto hwy 41 from the lot next to the big house that is next to the Kitchen kayak launch in Gibsonton.