Sign in to follow this  
preacher2go

Green Key In The Wind

Winds SSW 18-25, shifting to SSE, 1 ft choppy swells. Couldn't throw net for bait, so sabiki'd some small pins and grunts. Caught a small black tip 15 minutes in, starting at 4 pm. Next to hit were Spanish mackerel, with a lone trout at 5 pm. The Spanish were hitting steady starting at 5 pm.

Probably was pushing the limit on my yak with those winds, but it was really good to see macks in quantity.

The cradle net served me well for the shark, and even helped control te rocketing mackerel in close.

Good goin' in very tough conditions.  You earned those fish!

Thanks for the encouragement. While I was out there I saw a center console bay boat, looked to be an 18 ft'er on plane about a mile out. THAT guy was nuts! I've been flipped in a yak by the wind when the hull took a little air under it, so a light bay boat on plane is taking risks in high winds. Too windy today for me on the Gulf so off to Moon Lake for some bass fishin'.

how far out were you for the macks? Thinkinf about going out tomorrow.

I was 1/2 mile out on a SW heading from the point of Green Key in about 6 fow. The last few times out the bite was strongest just as the afternoon tide started going out. Good luck on the macks!