colibri2

36" Cobia From The Icw!

I haven't posted in a while. Hasn;t been much activity on here at all. But..I HAD to log this one in. Last Tuesday, 12/15, I was wade-fishing the northern end of Lemon Bay, near Manasota Key. If AndyS reads this, he'll know the spot.

Unlike in past years, someone placed some crab nets along the channel in the ICW. I was switching back & forth between my Zara Spook, Jr., in Mullet, and my DOA CAL Shad Tail in Pearl, on a 1/8-oz white jig head. Hoping to pick up a red or some trout. I've been doing REAL well with the Pearl CAL over the last 2 months. Bet I've caught 100+trout, keeping only a couple now and then, fishing them deep and slow.

Anyway, just for giggles, I flipped the DOA out near one of the crab floats in the ICW. Let it sink for a count of 5 (about 1'/sec drop), reel in some slack, and there's something on it. Sometimes that happens. Well, THIS FISH TOOK OFF!!!! Drag SCREAMING! It was a 7' Ugly Stik Elite (the new ones), Penn Pursuit ll with 10lb PP line. Had to take 50 yds of line before I turned it. Had to tighten drag a bit to do so. Figured I had a big Jack. Reds don't run like that, and it didn't come to the surface like a trout or snook.

15 minutes later I get it close enough to me to see this dorsal fin. I thought, aw geez (or something close to that!), I've got a shark! Wrong-o, buck-o! 36" Cobia! Only my 2nd EVER and my 1st keeper!

I swam it into my hand net, tail hanging out, grabbed it, my rod, my floating "fish buddy", and started the 100-yd trek back to shore, then to my van. I got 8 nice steaks out of it. I figured, based on an on-line fish weight calculator, that it was 18 lbs. Plum wore me out!

That's great Rick. Yes I know where you were fishing. Wish I was with you. In all the years fishing in FL. I've only landed one keeper cobia. Hooked a few I couldn't land with my ML rod and line. I think you catch more fish wading then any one I know. Rick, you do know I moved back to MD. Right? I am fishing for crappie in crappie weather. Merry Christmas!!

UPDATE! Today, Monday, 12/21, got to the the ICW at 7:30AM. 2nd cast of my Zara Spook, Jr in Mullet yielded a nice 17" trout, which I kept to make my Smoked Trout Fish Dip for Xmas day. After about 2 hours' total time the final tally was 9 trout (all but that 1 put back) and 1 under-slot flounder. 7 trout and the flounder were caught on a 1/8 oz, white jig head and a DOA CAL Shad Tail, in Pearly, fished deep and sloooooooowwww. :)

That is pretty good for wading IMO. Smoke trout fish dip. That sounds interesting. Never heard of smoked trout dip. I bet it is good. Rick, I caught some yellow perch yesterday and took a few pictures, but don't know if I should still post it on here now that I don't live and fish in FL. anymore. I should have fished with you when I had the chance. Thanks!