flaswimbaiter

Where Is The Winter?

Last two trips put have been horrible. The water is still warm and there is still bait hanging around. Can't find fish in the canals or on the flats. I have not seen a winter this warm in a while.

Have any of you seen any fish in their winter locations?

Hey Dave (it is Dave, right?), I personally haven't seen too many fish in my normal winter spots. Usually by this time of year, I am scouting the back waters to find fish, but now, I'm still working creek mouths, etc. I have caught a few Snook and a nice juvi Tarpon up the river, but other than that, I personally don't think the fish are in the winter hideouts. A good buddy of mine told me a couple months ago that fish work off of thermometers, not calendars - definitely one of the warmest "winters" I have experienced.

I can't figure it out either. Caught decent whitebait on the flats today and couldn't barely drum up anything in the mangroves. Spent Monday up a river and nothing there either. Gonna try one more time on Thursday before heading back to NC. Loving the warm weather but wish I knew where to find the fish.

I just got back from 4 days in the Everglades and we ran over 200 miles in backcountry and flats there... Very little found and caught. Only saw one redfish tailing and usually have seen hundreds. The fish are not in their winter pattern at all. The water and weather is just too warm. I did see 9 100lb poons belly crawling the 1' deep flat and my buddy had one good shot but that was it lol... But that's what you get in the glades. It's very tuff everywhere right now. But if you know where to go, there's plenty to be had.

Sorry to hear your trip was a bit busted. But the adventure and anticipation was most likely still a good getaway from the grind. Local fishing hasn't been all that stellar either, but am hoping this cold front(s) will kick it up a notch. Of course the winds have been relentless so only heading out on the rare days when it calms down a bit.

Went to Anclote island right before the cold front hit with a buddy and slayed the trout and macks. They seemed to still be in their spring/fall locations. Talked with another boat that didn't catch a thing fishing closer to shore in an area that is better in the normal winter pattern. Also, did really well with the reds at various passes and mouth openings to the backwaters right before the recent cold front hit. Even got to spear fish and saw tons of sheepies, reds, snook, snapper, and of course, mullet in the deeper cuts of the passes I was fishing. I think many fish are staging up in the mouth openings and not fully heading back into the backwaters just yet. This past cold front may start to push them further back now though. Just my thoughts.