Viper150

Blue Crabs In Lee County

Being new to the forum i hope i have this in the right place. AndyS hooked me up with some good flounder advice and now i am begging for help with my other passion, blue crabs! Not many seem to be too enthused about them down this way except for us transplants from the Chesapeake Bay area so one would think they should be plentiful and easy to catch. Not so i have found. I tried a few years ago and failed miserably. I am getting back in the saddle and going after them again. I will be using the standard 2X2 half size traps with fish for bait. I have watched a few YouTube videos and they seemed to have better luck with fresh fish than chicken so i will try that. If anyone can point me in the right direction to a good crab catching spot in the lee county area i would appreciate it. The last time i tried a few years ago someone moved my traps. I put mine a few hundred yards from a string of commercial floats and apparently they didn't like the competition. Mine ended up in a nice straight line in about two feet of water. I never keep juvies or females, egg bearing or not and only want enough to enjoy for dinner. Any advice on hot spots would be much appreciated.

Nobody is going to give spots for anything unless they are complete weirdos. If you know crabs, check google earth and find areas that look real good for setting a trap.. It's called fishing... Not, hey can you give me your spot so I don't have to learn how to fish. You are welcome. Crabs aren't that hard

Thanks for that demeaning reply phil. I wasn't looking for GPS coordinates for someones favorite fishing spot. A general hint like "plenty of crabs in Estero Bay" or "they were right about using fish instead of chicken down here". I guess it was a bit naive to think i could ask for fishing tips on a fishing forum. Congratulations on running off one of those "weirdos".

Viper150, Hope your still on this fishing forum. Hope I am not too late. The Peace River is very good for crabbing and fishing. If you don't have a good day crabbing, you can go to Peace River Seafood Restaurant And Market and eat some of the best steamed crabs in FL. They steam them just like our MD. crabs with live steam and a lot of seasoning. Viper150, don't leave this fishing forum. There in none better. IMHO. Hey by the way, it is 15 degree on the Eastern Shore of MD. and 18 degree in Baltimore this morning. I think I will take a break from fishing today. Go Terps!!!

I agree with you Viper 150; no need for the sarcastic reply and from a moderator on the site. The same message could have been sent via a PM without the intended embarrassment............ Ever heard of Bayport in Hernando County? When I was a kid, I used to have some success crabbing up there. There area lot of inlets and mangrove areas up there. Not sure if the crabbing is still good up there though.

Not to worry, i have been yelled at, humiliated and beaten by the finest instructors the Marine Corps, Navy and Army has to offer. I slept just fine last night. I will find the crabs. Hang in there Andy, spring is on the way! Have a brother up that way cap. Maybe i will plan a road trip and see what i can do up there.

I've never used traps for them and have always just gone out with a small net or caught them by hand. They are very easy to find and catch. I have got them by walking the seawall or wading the low or negative tides. Just about anywhere you see lots of bonnet head sharks you will also find blue crabs. Good luck with the hunt.

To all those that are lashing out on my totally honest comment/response to the original poster question seriously crack me up!! I bet all you guys use forums to find out the best spots allllll the time! We have people coming on here all the time to just find out spots on their very first post!! It's lame and shows that people are lazy as hell and don't have a clue about what it takes to learn how to fish.

Stop being such sissy's. Grow some passion and then you may be able to learn where and what crabs like so u can go catch them. Please keep the responses to my responses coming, I love all of it! But don't get butt hurt when someone tells/helps u to learn instead of asking for everything. Happy new year.

Hey Reelman! You have a post that you want to move? Somebody here can help you I am sure.

And if moderators are being mean to you, report them to the Court of the Great Genghis Gary. We will behead them if we're in the wrong Royal mood.

Sorry mods.

I am in a Great Genghis frame of mind today. :D

To all those that are lashing out on my totally honest comment/response to the original poster question seriously crack me up!! I bet all you guys use forums to find out the best spots allllll the time! We have people coming on here all the time to just find out spots on their very first post!! It's lame and shows that people are lazy as hell and don't have a clue about what it takes to learn how to fish.

Stop being such sissy's. Grow some passion and then you may be able to learn where and what crabs like so u can go catch them. Please keep the responses to my responses coming, I love all of it! But don't get butt hurt when someone tells/helps u to learn instead of asking for everything. Happy new year.

OK, i stand corrected. I guess i have been around civilians too long and have gotten soft. I took your advice and did study the local chart. I picked out places i thought crabs would be habitating and around 0800 yesterday launched my five recreational traps. (on a cold foggy morning mind you with nothing on but a columbia shirt) On Sunday i will pull them and see how i did. If that don't work i'll try somewhere else. 

Crabbing, fishing, or hunting deer is the same.

If you want to get good at it, make one out of every three trips a scouting trip to somewhere that should hold fish or game. It might not the first two or five times you go there. But if it is a point, a pocket, or a pass (in the case of fish) or a watering hole, near or on a high ridge, or near cover on a hunt they will be there under the right conditions at the right time of the day at the right time of the year. Scout places you never went and that you never saw being fished or hunted. There are thousands of them that you pass anytime you run ten miles from one place to another on the coastal waters of Florida.

The scout is something a lot of us do not make a regular part of our hunts. But it should be. You would think that after 12,000 years of this water being fished hard, there would not be any personal private spots to find.

But there are.

:)

Well, i did catch some crabs. They were pretty nice ones too. Just not enough for a feast so i let them go. I know where they are now. I just need to let the pots soak a little longer. As far as a recipe, that's simple. Water, beer, old bay seasoning and a dedicated steam pot. I can't imagine any other way to prepare them.

OH Man, a MD. guy that only knows one way to fix blue crabs. I think your kidding, or just forgot fried hard crab, crab soup, soft crab, crab cakes, crab imperial, I could go on and on. You must have meant one way to STEAM blue crabs. I might post the fried hard crab recipe. Not many people know that one.