Sign in to follow this  
southshoreslayer

Inshore Snapper And Inshore Slams

Normally in December the day consists of a 24 mile round trip to the Skyway for bait and then back into the river all day. Well with it being so warm the bait is still on the flats and the river is not producing. Being more like Spring we ran to the shipping channel for Snapper. The bite was non stop for 3 hours with over 40 snapper, 4 red grouper at 17", a grunt, and some short gags.

After the tide picked up ( hard to get baits down and bite slows down ) we headed inshore to some of my winter spots. Lots of activity but only some low slot Trout. Once we had enough water to get there we ran to a Spring spot and got a 18" red first bait in. After that is was double and triple hookups on mid/upper 20s snook for about an hour. A hell of a day and fried snapper for supper.

20151228_094217_zpss58bxiqd.jpg

20151228_085556_zpsiw3hmzwg.jpg

20151228_150105-01_zpsf1wqxlof.jpeg

20151228_165138-01_zpspzttctcj.jpeg

Ha!!! I feel yah dude. I was up super early this past Saturday to hit up the mouth of one of my areas and when I went to launch my kayak, I was like, "Ummmmm......where the hell is all the water??!!??!!" It worked out though because I took that time to study the terrain of the land that is normally covered under water.

Glad to see that the trip worked out for you.  Nice mess of fish!  Yeah these fish are so confused right now of where they want to stage up.  But I have fought my instinct to go to my winter holes because they were not producing very well and I had to change my mind set to fish my spring spots.