Sign in to follow this  
ctcap2000

Spoons And Knot

I recently went for out for a good day of redfishing and caught a bunch of slot sized reds on an aquadream spoon. I was using 8lb power pro with a 25lb leader. I was able to make long casts but noticed at the end of the day my line started to wind up and begin to form small knots on various places on the line. I talked with a fellow member already and he suggested trying different line. I didn't know if anyone else had a similar problem while fishing the aquadream or if it was because of the power pro line, the size of the line or the fact that the line used to be backing on a different reel, or a combination of all the factors. Any suggestions?

Barrel swivels - as small as you feel comfortable throwing. BTW - replace the hooks annually; they will break.  Inspect them frequently - any sign of rust replace it.  The rust will be where the screw meets the hook.

b4b9f83d-01a9-4828-b601-e02807450d3d_zps

43ef9072-d36e-474a-8ea3-570a9c3d2b80_zps

Line twist.  Caused by the spoon spinning instead of wobbling.  Slow down the retrieve a bit and you should eliminate the problem.  I reckon you do this already but use a loop knot so the spoon moves freely.  Everyone has their favorite but I prefer the Canoeman Knot.  Strong and I can tie it in about 10 seconds.

I agree with Barry. Slow down the retrieve a ton. Work a spoon so it wobbles, not spin. Also step that braid up to 10lb... it casts just the same for the most part, but no need to lose a fish over running too light of line. When I threw spin setups I used 10 braid and 10 or 15 leader for reds here in the bay. Bigger fish, step up to 20-30 braid and 30-40 leader. Spoons are good for certain situations... But nothing beats a paddle tail or shrimp imitation. Just my two cents.

funny you should mention about replacing the hooks when they get old....... I lost a good redfish a few months ago when the hook broke! lol......... what hooks would you replace them with?

The broken hook is a known issue to Capt Mike - he saved me as a customer by taking care of the situation.

Email Capt Mike at [email protected] and see if he can get you a replacement set for free.  I'm drawing a blank on the size hook, but he sent  about 10 when I explained to him that I liked his spoon, but was really disappointed in the hook.  I have a bunch of his spoons.

I bet if you mention this thread to him (and concerns you have), he'll really take care of you.

That white one is the sizzle.

I believe that between the saltwater and the different metals,  (hook/screw/spoon) the hook is prematurely rusting. 

Sample of broken spoon location:

600_01_zpse1ad19e0.jpg

Macro shot of rusted hooks

01_zpsa178c366.jpg

02_zps6fda725d.jpg

Just a thought but if it isn't broke don't fix it...the old Johnson gold spoons work just as good if not better and the best part is the hooks don't break. Well at least I never had one break on me.

They might not be advertised on flats class every 5 mins but they sure do work.

Capt. Mike will definitely help you out with the broken hooks. The new hooks have a curve where near where the screw meets. If you are still using the old hooks that are straight, you can get some of the new hooks right from Mike. 

And definitely add a swivel! 

Tight Lines!