mikelib19

Rod Repair At Tarpon Fishing Outfitters

Has anyone else has had issues with having rods repaired at the Tarpon location for TFO? I had one done a year ago and it was quick and fairly priced, so over Christmas Break I brought in 2 rods to get eyelits repaired.  The experience this time around has been pretty bad. I think that the date I brought them in was Dec 27 and it is now Jan 14 and I dont have my rods back or any idea when I might be able to get them.  I figured posting here might be more effective since calling in has got me nowhere and I know the guys read the forums.

The first time I called I mentioned that it had been a week and a half so I was curious when I could pick up my rods. The guy who answered was pretty rude and told me "it hasnt been close to a week and a half...its been 8 days" (wow, my mistake....I was way off).  He then told me its a two week job and to follow up then.  When it passed 3 weeks with no update I called back and the person who answered said "duuuuuuude, I dont really know what to tell you.  We havent got anything back from our rod repair guy in weeks and nobody can get a hold of him."  He didnt bother trying to give me a timetable on when I might see the rods again.  So that was really reassuring.  Plus, who doesnt love getting addressed as "dude" on the phone when they call a business?  Really sets the expectation that you'll get some professional service.

Anyways...TFO...you can do better than that.  Ive shopped at both locations frequently and never had a problem but this isnt good.  Does anyone have rods or reels in limbo up there or am I just lucky?

I brought in a rod for repair on Sunday and was told two weeks. No one told me they have been having an issue so I left the rod.

Then I received a call yesterday letting me know the are changing rod repair suppliers as Mark was nowhere to be found (hope he is ok).

It probably would have been better if I was told they were backed up in that

Dept and if I had another source to use it. But for now I will give them a couple of weeks that was promised.

This is exactly why I do Not take my rods or reels to a tackle shop who sends them out for repairs.

So where do you take them? Or, do you do all repairs yourself?

I didnt know they sent them out for repairs.  About a year ago I had a rod done and I had it back in a day or two, which is why I went back.  I still havent heard anything on my rods from this time around.  Getting pretty ridiculous at this point.  Id try to get them back and take them someplace else but I dont think they even have them at the store right now.  Open to suggestions as to who has a better place for this type of thing.

The good news, is wherever TFO is sending the rods for repair, the service is still very fast. I brought the rod in last week on the 15th and received a call yesterday, 21st,  that the rod is ready for pickup. So, I'm still a satisfied customer. 

Now if only the winds would lay day a bit and the water temp rise a bit, I might actually be able to use the repaired rod. Was out the last two days. Yesterday was a complete bust. Can't remember being skunked in a long time.

I had the same problem last year, so I went on utube and learned how to do my own rod repair.

It doesn't take much to replace an eye. When I finally got my rod back, the eye was still broke, (after a month an a half). I ordered what I needed from Mud Hole rod builders and repaired the eye in 20 minutes! No more waiting for weeks or longer for me.

I got a call yesterday, which was just shy of 4 weeks of TFO having my rods.  They told me that the rods were now back at the store, but were STILL not repaired and that I needed to call by 1:30 (it was about 12:30 when I got the call) or they would send them down to the St Pete location for repair.  I told them to hold my rods and I picked them up so that I could take them someplace else.  

Ive been shopping at both the Tampa location and now Tarpon as long as Ive lived in the area, but I couldnt bring myself to give them any more business on this, or anything else really. To have the rods that long, never call to tell me what is going on and not make any real effort to correct it other that generically offering "some discounts on something" when I picked up the rods was just extremely poor service.  If others have had an easier experience, then thats great but it certainly wasnt the case for me.  Would have liked to have spoken to Capt Dave about it but he wasnt there when I went by and Im sure he has been aware of the issues over the past month anyhow. 

First I want to thank all of you for supporting Tarpon Fishing Outfitters over the past few years.  Without all of you we would not be able to have such a wonderful, well stocked tackle shop.  You the customer are the most important aspect of the tackle business.  Tarpon Fishing Outfitters is my home and it is troublesome to all of us at TFO that even one customer is dissatisfied with our service.  We will and are working on any and all of our service to make it better and right for you. Everything doesn't always run smooth in every business as we hit a bump in the road with our rod repair.  Our rod repair was done on site, until our rod repair technician came into some unforeseen health problems.  He had asked if he could start doing the rod repairs at his home where he could catch up.   We accommodated him to support him which we did to show we cared about him as a worker and a person.  At this point things went downhill, we could not reach him by phone, e-mail or in person.  We check his home and he was nowhere to be found.  He had all the rod repairs with him.  In the meantime we started to use our sister stores rod repair service to get our new business completed.  Finally we received a phone call from the technician and he was hospitalized.  It was arranged for all your rods to be picked up immediately and repaired by our sister stores service.  We hope all of you accept our sincerest apologies and kindly keep a positive thought for our former rod technician that he recovers from some serious health issues.  Lastly thank you for your patience in this matter.  

So where do you take them? Or, do you do all repairs yourself?

I have all of my rods repaired by Rick Redd here in Tampa. He is a local rod builder who works from his home. Reasonable and fast turn around and I know exactly where my rods are.

I only use Okuma reels so I just box them up and ship them back to Okuma to have them serviced.

If I was going to use a local outfit I would probably go to Tarpon Fishing Outfitters or Betts Fishing Center to have reels repaired. Betts also does rods.

I used to do all of my own reel service myself but I just found its easier to send them out so I can concentrate or more important things I have to do.

I have not personally had any issues with TFO (tampa).  That said, I have taken my rods to Southeastern (Florida avenue) several times with broken tips and they fixed them on the spot.  Maybe took 15 minutes. 

That store has been a blessing and a curse. David paying attention to the issue you guys are having will get results, but bad turn-around and bad service sucks regardless of who serves it to you.

I live near Mastry's in South Saint Petersburg and have been taking rods there for as long as I remember. And I have taught a few good tiers how to tie. If my indian artifact collection was not taking up so much room I might build a jig and wrap a few myself. It is a very cool thing to do. I was taught when I was a young teenager. Every rod I fished with as a kid was made by my uncle and he got me on that jig young :)

I used to do all of my own reel service myself but I just found its easier to send them out so I can concentrate or more important things I have to do.

Steve that video you did a few years back was outrageous. Do you have a copy of that we could run here?????