Sign in to follow this  
flaswimbaiter

Runts

I purchased a spooltek for saltwater but I don't really use it that much. In my opinion the concept the the most innovative idea I have seen for fishing since the DOA shrimp, but the realism, action and sink rate are not what I look for in a a swimbait.

Are they effective? Extremely, but for deeper water or at night, the guys down in Miami have great success with snook, Jewish, tarpon, and even snapper around the canals and bridges.

I am hoping that when their patent expires and other companies pick up on the concept, new baits will be made with a more baitfish type profile and different tail design more suited for shallower water. If so, I will use them all the time.

I modified mine by drilling out some the the weight near the head, just to be able to use it in the canals, otherwise they sink Into the bottom. If you decide to get one I can explain how I did it.

If the mods want I can do a full review.

I wonder if having a foot or so of slack line release when setting the hook might be a problem, but maybe I'm not understanding how it works.

When you wind it tight it does not come out that easily. The hook would be set before the line comes out. I have caught a few small fish on the smaller version and the hook up was not a problem.