phil030

I'm Seriously Curious

Why do you fish?

Why do you speak about exact locations when you post a report?

Why do you keep everything you catch?

Why do you complain when you can't find fish in the spots you have blasted online for the world to see?

Honestly, if you guys haven't noticed... There's a ton of guys missing from this forum that used to post all the time with solid reports (never displaying where they fish or even showing backgrounds in their pictures), but they have stopped coming here due to all the non stop talk about all that crap! "Hey where did u get that fish?". "Hey what lure did u use?" "What depth did u get that fish, were you trolling the flat?"

Seriously, if you can't tell this forum has become a dead zone! Do you wonder why? Think clearly!

What is so wrong with posting reports and pics that don't depict where you fish? Why let the entire earth know where u caught that dink trout? Or came across that school of reds? Why!

I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here that will try and blast me for making this post... But honestly you are the ones that crack me up. This site is all about helping people learn how to fish... And has always been big on hearing your fishing reports and seeing the pics along with it! But at some point you must realize that too much info given is only harming yourself and your fishing spots you enjoy. So why not shut the hell up about all the details?! Why not just say things like "I had a great day fishing the bay"... Or "the snook were really on fire today"... Why tell the world where? If you think this site is only shown to people that are responsible fisherman and everyone respects the fishing etc, you are far from wrong, you are insane! Thinking is a given ability... Use it to your advantage. I've watched numerous areas on the east coast get completely blown out due to "talk". Use the technology we have these days (google earth etc) and find fish! It's not hard to catch fish, but you can certainly screw up a spot by talking about it online.

I know a lot of guys aren't on here anymore due to that crap. For the new members, take this as advice. The guys that aren't one here anymore are truly strong fisherman... They didn't learn from the Internet and sharing spots. It's called fishing, much like hunting.

Respect the fish, learn how to actually fish, and become happy.

Phil,

You are so right on this.

I'm old school, probably because I'm old - almost 65.

I started fishing EVERY weekend when I turned 17. Back then there was no internet, no shortcuts, no instructional videos, no informative magazines, etc.. And forget about an old timer giving out any info. You really had to work hard at it, figure it out yourself and LEARN !!!

Nowadays people want GPS coordinates and get upset if you don't give them step by step instructions. Guess we are in the age of instant gratification and entitlements !

I honestly think I am a better fisherman having learned it the 'hard way' .

I rarely post results here because I don't think most people would believe me anyway. It amazes me sometimes how few and small of fish get bragged about here. I would be embarrassed if that was the best I could do.

I will tell anybody the time, tide, lure, technique, season, etc. but NEVER the location, not even the body of water. Made that mistake once, decades ago. Might as well throw dynamite in your best spot, result is the same. Posting pictures with backgrounds ? You gotta be some type of stupid to do that.

The hot new lures is also comical to me. Some new lure comes out and everybody has to have it, in three sizes with six different color combinations. Go for it - keeps the tackle shops in business. Fish don't quit hitting a lure because it's old, they quit because people quit throwing it !

This fishing avocation thing is a long term process. It takes a loooong time to get consistently good at it.

Trolling the Internet for short cuts shows a lack of dedication and devotion to the sport. But don't worry, these guys that try to shorten the learning curve will have a different hobby shortly.

For the more experienced angler, share general info but keep the details to yourself and we'll all be better off.

Rant over.

Dave

Dave-

I don't care about the "size of fish" etc from anyone posting here. I enjoy reading and looking at all of them. Nobody is here to judge or laugh cuz someone's fish is small etc. fishing is about pure enjoyment. It's great to help each other with specific "how to" questions etc, but we get a ton of first time members posting on their very first post "hey can someone tell me where to find fish at xxx beach,and what lure do you use"... That's without even stating their name and introducing themselves! Just gimmie gimmie gimmie. Then you never hear from them again. Go figure.

People say fishing has been difficult, well yes some areas can struggle at times to produce, but last time I checked, this bay is freakin huge and I see all over social media people catching trophy fish year round.

Bottom line is that people don't think... "Oh I was just trying to help" no actually, you just screwed yourself by "helping"... We have a thing called private message... It's amazing how well it works to keep a conversation out of sight from the countless trolls looking for info.

Take care of your fishing areas, and they will always take care of you. And if you start to run out of fish, practice catch and release... It's actually a lot of fun if you view fishing as a sport.

Phil,

I enjoy catching small fish almost as much as I do larger ones. Decades ago there was a place I fished often for bass but unless you used wild shiners it was a struggle. We used to catch our own shiners with a cane pole and dough balls. That was almost as much fun as catching the bass and believe me, we caught some extremely large bass.

Point is it is the enjoyment factor. I fish for everything from bluegills to tarpon and enjoy it all.

That being said I guess my competitive nature kicks in, not me against other fishermen, but me against the fish, especially the larger specimens of all species. That's why I target the big girls, the challenge.

As stated previously, I will and have, often thru PM's, pointed folks in what I consider the right direction. But requests for specific locations are simply rude and to be ignored.

I rarely keep snook or bass. If I want fish to eat I catch a mess of bluegills. They taste better to me anyway.

Preach on Phil!!!

I crack up how much technology there is out there nowadays and people will still ask - where were you, what bait/lure did you use, what was the tide doing, were you fishing up against the groves, etc? I've said this time and time again regarding these winter negative low tides we have. Just get out there people during these lows, without the intent of fishing, but learning and observing. There was no Google Maps back in the day when I was a teenager, but we sure as hell had low tides. You can learn so much about a "spot" or a flat during a low tide. Study the contour and the lay of the land. There's times when I am out on the water and I haven't made a cast in hours. I get just as much joy as studying, learning, and seeing what nature is doing and how it reacts. If you start to get into this element and start becoming one with it, you will see how much your fishing can dramatically improve.

I love you Phil.

Our numbers - uniques, video shares, everything except forums - are stellar. Some areas are up 1,000%. But the newsletter and our off-site efforts are something you would have to see to believe.

Forums are becoming archaic in the eyes of the Web user, Phil. It's just a reality. And Facebook no longer lets you do links inside of posts on Facebook that go to sites. Even ours. The world is changing, Frodo.

That said, we do not talk enough ;o

I can talk with my pictures to show fish and lures without telling exact spots.. They have to believe me. LOL! On the other fishing forum one time, one of the form members, I won't give his name, sent me an PM and said stop making reports about the beaches in Venice and Caspersen Beach. I plan on retiring and move to Venice soon. Don't need all the people to know about the good fishing. Something like that he said. I said to him. You sure have a nice way to tell me I am F-ing up. Sorry you feel that way. For me showing people how to catch fish was what I liked to do. Then take pictures of them. I have loads of pictures of happy people/snowbirds holding fish on the beach. Guys and Ladies don't take your fishing so serious. Play it the way you like, but why knock the way others play it. If your afraid of people messing up your fishing spot, you must not have many fishing spots. The main thing is to stay calm. LOL! :)

Sorry Andy, but your rant has me confused.. The message I said was simple. Do you need to do what I say? Nope, I just ask why... Any harm in that? Didn't think so. As some here I've noticed many solid members leave this site due to info given. It's just a fact. This "forum" is massively lacking from what it once was.. There's no reason to sit calmly and scratch your head,.. The answer is obvious if you pay attention.

Andy, the reason I personally care so much is that I put hours and hours into looking at google earth then even more countless hours into trial and error and finding these fish. Beach areas and passes are obvious places to fish, a lot of people are going to fish there regardless. But areas that hold baby tarpon, or backwater creeks where u can sight fish big snook are different stories. Blast the beach where u fish all u want lol, jetties are areas with plentiful fish and everyone knows about without having to know a lot about fishing. I think it's awesome when people put in the work and find great spots, that's why I don't want people to ruin it for themselves or the fish (or me haha). People need to put in some work and find some fish for themself.

Phil - why put in work when u can post on Tampa bay fishing club and just ask where? Why hide spots when u can brag about it. The problem is people taught me fishing etiquette and how to fish, etc. now u don't learn technique u just ask where and what bait to use. It's disgusting. U put those people in a new area and they'd have no clue how to fish it. Anyways I'm tired of ranting. Maybe I'll check back into TOF in another 6months haha.

Let's not even get started on that stupid fish brain APP. LOL. Everyone just wants everything handed to them these days. No one really has the fishing desire or passion to put in the time and effort to learn where, how, when, and why. It's sad but true.

I think the saying goes, loose lips sink ships!

I understand and agree with all of you. I just though I would give my thoughts on this. OK, now you all set me straight. One last thing. I didn't always fool around on the beaches in FL. Old people are funny.

You know, I used to love this place. I read, posted and participated in this forum quite a bit. I still log on every now and then. I don't agree with sharing particular fishing spots with the public, but don't mind giving advice (Not spots)to a beginner that will help them learn to fish for themselves.  But to be honest, the magic that made this forum what it was, IS Gone. Between the in-fighting among members/moderators, the lack of forum sponsored activities like we had a couple of years back, the format changes the forum went through a while back when everyone's screen names and other info got scrambled and it took weeks of PMing moderators and administrators to get our info straightened out. I have seen a lot of newbies get blasted/flamed off this forum instead of being politely advised to proper fishing forum etiquette.  All of this, as well as other things, has turned a lot of people off and made people leave the forum or not join in the first place after reading a few threads. I've spoken to a few of the regulars that used to call this forum home and they share the same sentiment.

I've spoken to a number of the "good oldies" as well and all have said they got sick of the spots given, and the lack of common sense. Can that be taught? Sure! But it appears the damage has been done. This site gets so many trolls and newbies on their first post asking "where do I find fish at x location". There comes a point in helping someone that is genuine in wanting to learn goes so far... Cuz on the flip side we've had many that have played the innocent role and once info was given, they disappear. Yes social media has changed the role in fishing. But as a site that used to be solid fisherman coming together to chat is not that way anymore. I keep up with all of my friends (some from here) on Facebook and Instagram daily. Can this site be different? Sure! But as records have shown, the forum has diminished. And will continue that track.

This world has become so politically correct that you can't even tell someone they don't have a clue of what they are doing without someone getting all bent out of shape and crying about it. Sorry but that's fact. I know myself and my friends love to help people, but there comes a time that some people are bad for a "community". No need to say moderators are bad, and other nonsense. We all love to fish and enjoy the sport.

Suggest things that you would like to see different for the better. But don't hate the fact that there are trolls and other numerous people coming on the forum to just get info and go... Poach perhaps.. Sorry, that's not ok.

The forum was very active when I found this site a few years ago, maybe 2010.

Since then, the site's focus has shifted away from the forum and more towards page hits and association with Guy Harvey and etc.   They're trying to monetize it.  Its their decision.  Can't fault them really.  It takes money to grow.

I still fish with several of the people I met through this forum.  It was a fantastic community.  I'm still learning from/with the guys I met here.

But we're 100% fly fishing now and sharing info in a much smaller audience.  

The only people I share specifics with these days are the people who are on the skiff with me.

Detailed internet fishing reports are thing of the past...not just here, but on other forums as well.

I won't post where we found the school of 50+ bull reds on the negative low tide this past Sunday.  I don't want a dozen jon boat lurkers soaking cut ladyfish there on the low tide this coming Sunday...

OK.

Suggestions are in order. Tell us what would make a perfect forum in your minds.

You are in a position to make any kind of changes you would like to make to this site. We've never been hard on our moderators - rather letting them be part of the community that they manage.

Form a committee. Tell us exactly what you want us to do to improve, grow, and enlighten this forum. If it makes sense, we will do anything you think we should do. It's important to us because you are all important to us. The Web world does not measure them. They measure readers, time, temperature, responsiveness, and a whole bunch of things that forums do not touch.

I think the "community" aspect is what's missing Gary.  Not sure you can get that back.

I predicted it would happen when your focus shifted towards articles and monetization rather than the forum community which seemed to be the original draw of the site.

Again...I don't fault you for the shift.  Its your prerogative and social media has taken a bite out of forums all over the internet.

I'm glad I found the board before it "evolved" and met some good folks while the board was in its prime.

This happens all the time on fishing forums. People start complaining, some leave, new people join. Then things settle down again. I seen it happen through the years. I miss living in FL. and posting almost every day with a beach report. I even caught a little hell, like, Andy, don't you ever catch and release them flounder. LOL! I just told him no. EAT MORE FLOUNDER!! So far, this has been the best fishing forum for me. I got two pretty good fishing forms in MD. now. I'll probably catch a little hell for this post. LOL! Got to love it!! Think I will post my catch from yesterday in MD. on this fishing forum.

A couple of suggestions , maybe sponsor another event like we had before at Ft. Desoto. Maybe put together some fishing outings where we get together and fish. It could be done in a tourney format but might work better as just a friendly get-together with maybe a cook-out afterwards. No more fishing spots revealed on the forums. You can use private messaging for that or phone calls after you get to know someone. There is a lot of great info on the site but I miss the old days when there was always something new in the forums . Hopefully it will come back to life. I have met some great people from the site and have enjoyed fishing and learning from them.