Sign in to follow this  
rip3618

Winter Reds

It seems like there are fewer and fewer posts on the forums lately. And a handful of negative attention has been given to some of the posts. Here's getting back to the point of the forums and bragging rights!

My buddies and I hit up our favorite winter creeks in Yankeetown Saturday. These are annual trips we only do a couple times a year and we've never seen another sole fishing these creeks. Don't blast me for keeping fish. Five of us caught our limit with at least 100 reds between all of us. This is a truly special back country area for us. It takes about 30 minutes driving through some nasty roads in the woods to get to the launch (my truck is a tad dirty). Then, we usually have to drag our kayaks / gear about an eighth mile until the water is deep enough to paddle. It's a long, muddy and wet trek just to start paddling but well worth it. The creeks are true back country and you can see how shallow they are in the photo of my empty kayak. I'm the dude in the white hat.

Reds - over 100, about half were under slot and the rest were upper and over slot, largest being 32"
Bait / lures - shrimp, ZMan 4" Paddlerz in Houdini and white grub tail jigs

post-217253-0-96058100-1454368918_thumb.jpeg

post-217253-0-59812300-1454369223_thumb.jpeg

post-217253-0-52602500-1454369257_thumb.jpeg

post-217253-0-97458200-1454369277_thumb.jpeg

post-217253-0-06929000-1454369309_thumb.jpeg

post-217253-0-51002600-1454369341_thumb.jpeg

post-217253-0-05479500-1454369359_thumb.jpeg

post-159833-0-19534100-1454437807.jpg

post-159833-0-12764400-1454438021.jpeg

Low tech solution...right click and tilt head.  :wacko:

Nice job on the beat down.  

Couple questions...is the truck a 4x4?  How were the bugs?  Spend the night?  

Love me some Zmann...

Ha! Thanks for the advice, that's about as tech - savvy as I am anyway.

Thanks for the comment. Over the last few years I find myself keeping less fish but that area never gets hit and we're constantly catching high numbers of quality fish.

My truck is 2wd but I run terrains. The bugs were as big as the fish. We didn't stay the night, it's only an hour drive. But my buddy does have a cabin that we stayed at before. ZMans Paddlerz are money!

Let me ask you something...and I'm kinda scratching my head on this.  Over the last 2 weeks I've landed 2 out of 5 large reds (+30"); I just switched jig heads and I'm thinking that may be it, or I've hit a bad streak.  I'm not a fan of losing 3 bruisers.

The last one I set the hook home 3 times for good measure and still lost him.

What jig head are you using?

I did notice that because I'm fishing super slow that the hook has been embedded behind the crushers.  That may be it, but I'm really wondering what's up.

I'm using an 1/8 oz Mission Fishin jerk bait hook. I'll drive the hook a couple times for good measure but I've still lost a few. Sometimes we get the reds and sometimes the reds get us.

Hell yeah dude, great work on some pretty Reds!!!! That's what it's all about right there, putting in some time and work with friends to get on some great fish.

Very nice and great work finding those fish. I have hit one of those creeks a while back and they get really shallow and muddy.  That trip payed off nicely, enjoy your dinner.

Very nice and great work finding those fish. I have hit one of those creeks a while back and they get really shallow and muddy.  That trip payed off nicely, enjoy your dinner.

Ron, didn't you catch a nice snook up there last year or the year before?