Ronsfoods

Fishing Coordinates Off Shore Ft Myers Fl

can anyone share fishing coordinates off shore ft myers. we go out 20-40 miles and want some locations out farther maybe up to 100 miles. now the water is still very dirty 40 miles out from the winds a week ago. any spots to get us started would be welcomed. thanks if you can help. Ron

Ron, I'm sure there is a special spot out there. Many fish below. I would encourage you to use all your natural instincts to find them. If you have a depth finder, look for changes in depth, structure etc.

But just postinG your first question asking for numbers...

This forum will be more than happy to help you with techniques tackle suggestions, tides etc, just not locations.

I would also suggest you check out Lee County Web sight for artificial reef locations. These are public information and sure to hold bountiful quantities of fish.

When you catch them, post your photos, post what you used, post the weather etc. Just don't ask folks for spots. Very controversial.

Tight lines!

So sorry if my question was out of line. Just new at this and new to the area. Thanks for the advice on the lee country web site, I will check it out. I was only looking for some starting point, there is a lot of water out there and for the most part I have only found slight ledges to fish. thanks again

Your question wasn't out of line. We prefer to encourage new or inexperienced anglers with doing the research, putting in the time and learning the fishy areas instead of providing info on specific locations. Fishing is a skillset that should be developed and by developing your skillset you'll become a more succesful angler. Hope this doesn't discourage you from being an active member and posting some photos and reports. Good luck!

If you have decent electronics, just leave the dock and head southwest. Watch the hardness of the bottom and the depth. The bottom will get hard fast. Start fishing in about 40' of water. Troll four ounce bucktail jigs with two downriggers about 24" above hard bottom. Use a white tail on one and a green one on the other. When both rods go down, retroll that same spot.

Once you get three or four fish from the spot, pull the downriggers, drop chum blocks, and fish away.

Those are all the numbers you need. Scout. The bottom is hard, the fish are not overfish, and they are hung-hung-hungry.

This brings us to the Secret Spot conversation.

There are no secret spots on TheOnlineFisherman.com. They have all been fished for 12,000 years, so get over your honey holes. But scouting will make you way better at what we do then having numbers.

Just a not-so-humble opinion. If forums will die because I tell you what docks in what neighborhood I was at when we caught and released 22 (half keepers) grouper inshore last month (Tierra Verde) and that knowledge is going to burst somebody's bubble, I would tell them to find another neighborhood and another dock. There are literally thousands of docks, and thousands of numbers and thousands of honey holes.

But down south, just find hard bottom. The fish are in the holes and they do not show on the finders most of the time. They come up to hit the jigs.

Ask Vance Tice. He will tell you. Both about secret spots and about how to catch grouper.

This brings us to the Secret Spot conversation.

There are no secret spots on TheOnlineFisherman.com. They have all been fished for 12,000 years, so get over your honey holes. But scouting will make you way better at what we do then having numbers.

Just a not-so-humble opinion. If forums will die because I tell you what docks in what neighborhood I was at when we caught and released 22 (half keepers) grouper inshore last month (Tierra Verde) and that knowledge is going to burst somebody's bubble, I would tell them to find another neighborhood and another dock. There are literally thousands of docks, and thousands of numbers and thousands of honey holes.

But down south, just find hard bottom. The fish are in the holes and they do not show on the finders most of the time. They come up to hit the jigs.

Ask Vance Tice. He will tell you. Both about secret spots and about how to catch grouper.

I'm a still somewhat newbie to inshore fishing....When I met Gary a few years ago at one of the annual fishing events at the state fairgrounds, he introduced me to this site.  At the time he told me this site would help me to get plugged into important conservation and lobbying issues facing the hobby and help me to get better at it...When I checked it out, I was absolutely blown away by the friendliness of everyone on the forum, the true feeling of community and the ease of information sharing.  I know firsthand that everyone genuinely seemed patient and helpful with me and my beginner level questions at the time because I sure asked a lot of them, and received helpful feedback on each and every occasion....I also enjoyed the "fishy maps" because it helped me to get better at fishing, not by going and milking that information to ruthlessly pillage those particular spots but rather reference what it was about them that made them "fishy" to begin with (and of course take that knowledge to go find my own spots that had similar characteristics)....Everything was great!

For whatever reason now though, it seems like a few of the more active and vocal people on this site are perpetually in a really bad mood for one reason or another, particularly the "veterans" who seem to want to chastise or berate newer folks who ask questions or post comments that otherwise seem to be pretty benign...I'm not sure why the tone has changed for the worse but I hope the goodwill and cheerfulness returns because as it stands now, it is sorely lacking from some moderators and members...

All in all though, I still think TOF is a marvelous site and I think Gary has done great job growing it.  I'm thankful he introduced TOF to me a few years ago and I like his re-emphasis here that this site is committed to getting back to its roots of sharing and community.

hey guys

I have already learned a lot from my first post. It was my first post to any forum of any kind so I didn't really know what to expect. I will be going to see Lesli Haynes at Lee County today to pick up some reef maps and I'm going to try floridagofish.com for more info.

I do have a new question. In April I will be going to the Tortugas to fish. I have heard we should fish for yellow tail. Anyone every been there and have any advice as to what kind of equipment to take along and how I should be fishing there. On the way back we plan to go to Key West and fish one day while there. Same question would apply as to what kind of fish to fish for and how to fish for them. I know I must sound like I have never fished before, I have a little, but mostly just laying a hook with shrimp or cut bait on the bottom and waiting for the bite. Again not asking for any "fishing secrets" just some tips on how to fish certain fish in certain conditions. Any other places you would recommend for me to go for info would also be helpful.

Will keep you posted as to the success of my fishing results.

Thanks

Maybe I can help you. Go to Scuba Haven and purchase a 20$ book called Underwater Florida. Where there is structure there is fish. It will give you exact coordinates on the wrecks.Set up at least one rod and reel for catching sharks, there's hammerhead out there. Also, you may see some dive flags out on the water as well. You might want to google dive flags so you know how far or how close you can anchor up around them. 

What your looking for is towards the end of the book.

Have fun!

Ron, I have never fished the Tortugas or Keys. If I could spend some time in the Keys, I would love to backcountry for Tarpon on a fly. It's on my bucket list. I have a good friend who goes there frequently, and comes back with great stories, and an occasional fish! But his recommendation to me goes to the question you originally asked about where to fish. He says, "Stuart, when you go to the Keys, hire a guide. You'll not only catch fish, but you'll learn more in one day than you can imagine." As I think about it, perhaps that that's some really good advice. I've never used a guide before (stubborn pride?? Cost??) Something to think about though.

Good luck and tight lines!

Maybe I need to use reverse psychology. Don't buy the book Ron.

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the bait. Down further south,"The Keys" their shrimp is different. The color is pink the size is small and the price is expensive. Start off with frozen squid. Did you google the meaning of the dive flag? If you don't know what the flag means then yes, hire a guide and stay safe.