Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bassin assassin

Late Alafia Report

Recommended Posts

Launched yesterday at noon. Water was very low and almost muddy. Water temp at ramp was 61 degrees, but got warmer as I went towards Williams Park. Got up to 67 in some spots. Water was coming in till about 4:30pm and then back out. I worked docks, open water and wind-blown banks for 3 hours and had not had one definite strike.


Went into a shallow bay. Saw mullet jumping and was encouraged. Worked the banks and middle with no luck. Was using a light power rod w/ 10# pp and a 1/16 oz chartreuse MF jig head with the RT mullet in electric chicken. Got all the way to the end and was fishing in about a foot of water. At 3:30pm, I was reeling in and my lure just stopped. Came tight and my line had already moved 10' to the right of where my jig was. I felt weight and a big fish took off for the middle of the bay. My drag was screaming. I followed the fish out and got fairly close. I see the broad back of a very large snook as she surfaces. It is a tank and I conservatively estimate to be at least 36", but probably bigger. I loosen my drag since she is out in open water and I fight her for a minute. The bend in my rod is significant and I feel all her weight as I put pressure on her. She suddenly begins to make surge after surge for a dock about 20 yards away. Instead of tightening my drag, I lightly palm the reel. She is getting closer to the dock and I applied more palm pressure, but apparently too much. She makes another run and Tink. She pops my line. I am still reeling from that loss. I learned not to palm the reel and always use the drag, especially when fishing light line.


Trying to recover from that misfortune, I move on. Ok so that fish was in a shallow bay in very shallow water probably trying to stay warm in the sun. Docks have been a bust. So over to another shallow bay. I finally got on the board with a small snook about an hour later. Mullet and other fishy activity too. Lost a fish that came up and spit my lure. Think it may have been a catfish cause I caught 2 small ones just a bit later. Getting late so I headed back towards the ramp to hit a couple of good docks. By this time the water was flowing out. Looked down when I began to work the docks and the water was gin clear. The water from the river was flushing out that stained murky water. That was interesting. I ended up catching 2 small snook off docks right before dark. I headed for the ramp. It was a difficult day and rough losing a big fish like that, but you can't catch them all. :(

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this