Do any of you want to learn how to catch keeper grouper inshore and nearshore?

We are thinking of doing a class. In a classroom first and then on the water. You need a boat or you need to work with somebody who has one.

The participating boats will need downriggers.

It's gonna be a while yet, but stay tuned and let us know if you are interested. It is not gonna be free but it ain't gonna cost a lot, either. I can assure you it will be well worth it. If you have ever attended one of Vance Tice's seminars, you will have a taste - a small one - of what we are going to teach.

Again, let us know. We will be giving you dates in the next few weeks.

We are not only going to teach trolling. We're going to teach how to troll to find and scout bottom. How to find your own numbers and how to fish them once you do. You will see keeper grouper caught well within sight of land, and all sorts of things caught between here and perhaps fifty feet of water.

We are going to teach attendees how to catch grouper. And snappa, of course.

I'm up for it as well. Especial for trolling the ship channel in the bay. 

I did the Tarpon class a couple of years ago. I learned a lot and had a good time. We even hooked into a couple of tarpon during the on-water part of the class.

I sure hope this comes to fruition.

To those of you guys that do not have downriggers, Vance Tice will hook you up with the perfect equipment. I can promise you that when you do the trip you will always want to have downriggers to use. And yes they work perfectly on an 18' boat. We are using manuals from a new guy who is making them locally.

Hi ez3putt it'sVance Tice.You were wondering what kind of down rigger to buy and if it will work on your 18 ft boat.The answer is yes and it depends on how many rod holders you have in the gunnel and how you gunnel is set up.The brand I would use are now called Seahorse Down riggers by troll-master.com.You can go on his site and view his products and I will help you pick the right one.I was talking with Gary this morning and we decided the way the class would work is we would take 4 guys from the class at a time on my Shaeffer boat and teach you everything you would need to know and give you 10 numbers of rock piles to fish on you boat. If you want to purchase some riggers I will help pick the right setup and assemble them so they are ready to go fishing.We will also teach you the lures and tackle you need to get the job doneIf you want to you can take pictures with your phone and send them to my phone so I can see what setup you need.My phone is 813-787-8712.i will be glad to help anyone interested in using down riggers get the right setup.The Seahorse down riggers are the exact same down rigger Penn has been selling for years.Penn quit making them and a good friend of mine is now building the product under the Seahorse name.

Hi Vance,

That sounds great and I am definitely interested in your class.  As long as it isn't scheduled the last week in March.  My daughter is getting married on April 2, 2016!  My boat is covered up right now, but I will try to get some pics this weekend.  I have been looking at down riggers on the web, but would much prefer to deal locally even if it is a few bucks more.

Thanks for the response and sign me up for your class! (with the previously mentioned caveat)

Sonny

Hi Sonny.We will do it probably in May or June when the season opens.I have been fighting a bad back since July and was unable to do any trips last season.I am going to have back surgery the first week of April and will be layer up 4-6 weeks for recovery.So if it goes good I should be ready to go when the season opens.Give me a call and I will explain why I need to see your boat.Call me anytime 813-787-8712.

This will come together nicely :)

Do not tell NOAA. OK? Please do not tell NOAA. Even if we are not gonna kill a fish, there is somebody with some title somewhere at NOAA that will not like us even telling you HOW to kill a fish when the DO let us kill fish.

:lol:

I am definitely interested. I have no liner in my boat therefore no rod holders in the gunnels (1998 - 21ft. Hydra sport CC bay boat). Not sure if i can rig the boat with a downrigger. Regardless i am interested in the class.

Hope to hear about more on this soon.

Hey Everyone, sorry about the delay in getting back to you about this. Vance has actually just scheduled up a seminar for trolling nearshore! Check out out here: http://theonlinefisherman.com/community/calendar-of-events/nearshore-grouper-and-snapper-techniques

Hope to see some of you out there!

Will this be part of the class mentioned in the beginning of this thread, or will this be in-class only? I've done a couple of Vance's in-class grouper trolling seminars and I'm really looking forward to the on-water class.

Hi Mark and everyone interested in the on the water class.We will be signing up people for the class at the seminar on Thursday.I will discuss the on the water class before and after the seminar.Sorry for the delay I have been dealing with recovery from back surgery and a iPad that drives me crazy.I hope to see everyone that can make it to the seminar and if you can't make it but want to take the class can call me.My number is 813-787-8712.I would like to see the bay water clear up some so we have a better chance of a productive trip but we can get some trips scheduled.

Thanks for the interest.Vance