Sign in to follow this  
snwbird fisher

Newbie - Palma Sola Bay

Am brand new at kayak fishing, and so am learning as I go along. Received my Jackson Big Rig last week and did my first outing on the Manatee River Friday, and it was outstanding. Am learning about rigging etc., as I go but I loved it even with the wind and despite not catching anything.

Now I would like to try something a little farther afield (for me anyway), so am thinking about trying Palma Sola Bay tomorrow (Tuesday) at some point and would appreciate any advice/information about where etc., from anyone who has fished there lately.

Actually would appreciate any advice anyone might have about the sport itself.

Thank you much, regards

Snwbird Fisher

Welcome to TOF forums.

Best overall advice I can give you or anyone wanting to learn how to find fish is that GOOGLE EARTH IS YOUR FRIEND.

Look for the 3 Ps. Points, pockets and passes.

Beyond that - like Barry said - search for and read articles on this site about the preferences and habits of various fish species at different times of year. For instance - this time of year while the water is still 65 degrees or less - trout can be found in abundance on the deeper grass flats (3-5 feet) and snook tend to go up into the creeks and rivers and canals.

If you start keeping a fishing log now - noting whenever and wherever you catch fish - including location, water temp, tide and solunar conditions etc, then you will have a very good personal baseline of knowledge (in writing) within a couple years that you can keep adding to and refer back to.

There is no substitute for time spent on the water when it comes to fishing knowledge. Theory is nice to know - but experience is what will turn you into a good fisherman. Good luck - and once again - Welcome.

Here's a couple good articles as a starting point to increase your baseline knowledge about saltwater fishing on the flats.

http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/how-to-fish/techniques/fish-the-flats-like-a-pro

http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/how-to/fishing-the-flats-12-important-tips

loved my jackson when i had it.  I was just fishing north of there last week.  so that boyou gets fished pretty heavy, but it can be good.  Ive been loading up on reds north of 64 on grass flats.  they've been sitting in potholes.  Snook have been in the little creek areas.  Definitely check the area out on google earth and spend lots of time out on the water.  

Be sure to check out the deeper holes , that's where I've caught most of my fish lately. Deep water and fish slow. You can make a good cheap kayak anchor out of a 5# dumbbell weight from Walmart , be sure to let out some extra line when you anchor so it will hold.well. If you're fishing  Palma Sola Bay check out channel south of the humpback bridge. Have fun exploring.

Thank you all for taking the time to welcome me and providing all the advice. However, although I have been paddling since I was a kid (and that wasn't yesterday) am not yet completely familiar with the Big Rig characteristics so after looking at the wind forecast for yesterday decided I would wait a day or two. Next Monday looks promising, as not even going to think about driving 64 on the weekend..... :P

Will definitely take the time to study both Google Earth and Bing Maps to find the channels and holes mentioned, although not sure how to locate them once I am actually on the water as do not have GPS.....yet.

Thanks again.

Regards

Snwbird Fisher

Snowbird- one of the things I enjoy most on my yak is paddling and discovering. Use GE to help you visualize where a spot may be, then explore the area. Everything changes daily, with tides, moon cycle, water clarity, temps etc.

I read a blog recently that was discussing the importance of scouting an area, spending 2/3 of your time exploring and noting, 1/3 actually fishing. The more I think about that, the more I think he's right. (To be fair, the blog was about pre fishing for a tournament) but the concept applies to the average guy like you and I.