Sign in to follow this  
jayfack27

Everglades Advice? (And Some Flies)

Finally getting a little time off dental school to do a fishing trip.  Im trying to plan a camping trip down in the everglades. I was wanting to know if anyone can point me in the right direction.  Where is a good cleared out beach island or something to camp out on near some good fishing?  Where should i put in?  Ill be bringing the banshee extreme and a few 5 gallon gas tanks with me.  It will probably be just my gf, and maybe one buddy with me.  Id be open to meeting up with any of you who had time to come down.  Planned on fishing a lot, drinking some beers and fires at night.  You can PM me to keep it on the downlow if you want.  I'm not looking for honey holes or anything like that.  I can google earth and do research on my own.  Just want a decent island or beach area to stay on instead of going in completely blind and making the gf mad haha.  And any advice will help!  

Going to be doing mostly fly fishing.  

Also, i just got into fly tying.  Ive had good luck with the brown/white color combo on redfish around here in bradenton so far.  Any advice on other flies i should try to tie for down there?  Id love to get into some juvi tarpon (still never caught one on fly). 

post-217965-0-15895300-1456172752_thumb.jpg

If you plan on camping, make a reservation. Camping spots have no electric or water but do have bathrooms and showers. You do have to realize, two idiots run the camping area so be forewarned. There are Chickees available for camping but you have to go through the National Park Service on site-they are good people unlike the bozos running the campground. 

There is a grass flat out front of the camping area where there are trout. Surprisingly, pilchards were on these flats as of Jan 13. Don't bother going to Snake Bite and east unless things have changed and you find clear water. Go either straight out or west towards East Cape. Southern most point of Bradley Key holds Barracuda and a few other species. Palm Bay, just south of Palm Key is a beautiful flat, clear water, potholes, turtle grass but we didn't find  a single fish on it. As one captain told us everything changes daily! You might try going up East Cape Canal (fish the little cuts) to Lake Ingram. Should be tarpon in the canal. We did get snook and reds there but it was on shrimp and cut lady fish.The wilderness waterway going through Coot Bay to Whitewater Bay can be productive, maybe. There has been so much rain in the Everglades, it's tough! Get a Hot Spot map and/or Everglades National Park waterway map #11433. The triangular area between Bradley Key, Roscoe Key and Clive Key can be productive, maybe. You'll learn a lot but it will be frustrating.

Be sure to visit Don's Bait and Tackle on US 1. They have a small fly shop and a lot of stuff for a small store.

We stayed in Florida City at a the Southern Comfort RV Resort (they do have a small tenting area) so we had the option of Biscayne Bay or Flamingo depending on the winds (Flamingo, hour each way, 20 minutes to Biscayne Bay).

Hope this helps a little. There is just so much to know, I can't cover it all. Hire a guide! I can recommend a couple if you like, Bob LeMay being one and Nester Alvisa another.

Cool thanks!  definitely looking to do more backwater canal running.  I kind of want to just stay on an island out there somewhere.  Im only looking to fish reds, snook, tarpon.  Awesome info, i appreciate that

God those are beautiful flies. Take images when you're down there.

Thanks!  the green back one was my 2nd fly ever, the top image is maybe my 5th ever.  Its a great hobby to get into, and there really isn't a much better feeling than catching a fish on a fly you made yourself.  But my flies are nothing compared to ron's on here.  

Look out for crocodiles along the shorelines, especially on the beach areas west of Flamingo. The bugs can be bad, especially since it was a mild winter. Bring extra supply's your pretty much on your own out there. Take lots of pictures and post them when back. Good luck enjoy!

Look out for crocodiles along the shorelines, especially on the beach areas west of Flamingo

You can't say that in any other state!  lol  I've lived in FL for almost 27 years and still amazed at some of the wildlife.

Spent 3 days down there at the end of December.  

Its epic...even when the weather is rough and makes it tough to throw flies.

We camped at Flamingo...hit the backwaters (Hell's Bay) one day, Florida Bay (Snake Bight) the next day, and hit Biscayne Bay on the way home day three.

You should be able to reserve a camp space where you can keep the boat nearby on the trailer and launch out of the Flamingo ramps with access to the inside or the outside.

Bugs were noticeable in December.  Go prepared.