cyrusd40

Wade Fishing ?

When is it usually good? Just moved back Home to fl late this past year, and just now able to get back Into fishing. Is wade fishing good this time of year? I used to to johns pass this time of year and slay trout right under the pass is it still the same?

Never a really bad time for wade fishing in this area, although it can get a little cold if you don't have waders. As for John's pass, it's hit or miss right now but will pick up once the bait moves in. I was there today fishing the south jetty and managed 3 small flounder, 1 trout, 1 pompano and about a dozen pin fish. Incoming tide was the key. They stopped biting when the tide changed (except the pins) and about 8 dolphins moved in and scared off the game fish. Live shrimp free lined with a small split shot did the trick today.

I wade fish in the winter only.  Typically late Oct - Mar.  Seems the men in grey enjoy my company.  I don't keep fish, but they seem to find me.

The official schedule looks something like this:

Jan - Mar - kayak and wade

Mar - Apr - kayak

Apr - Sep - mostly power boat (poon/grouper/macks), some kayak

Sep - Dec kayak and wade

Kayak gives you the height advantage too.

Barry; would be happy to fish sometime and grab some drinks partner! How's life treating you?

Cyrus.....send me a PM when the water warms up some.  I hate wearing waders. lol  Everything is going just fine with me.  :)

Welcome back to the land of Oz.

I spent all my youth wading or fishing out of canoes. I used to wade all year and it's still the best way to get into the water.

I love fourth street and ninth street and the north side of the howard frankland bridge either side. I parked there the other day and took pictures for an hour and never got hassled. But you can park on the fourth street parking areas on either side. Outstanding wade fishing.

The north side of the bay you can walk miles inside of double branch. You can park at the strip center there and walk all the way to the bay fishing Channel A all the way. When you get to the bay look north (to your right) and you will see one of the two 'double' branches. It's an oyster paradise that's a favorite among guides willing to go into there. It's loaded with fish. I've caught huge redfish and forty inch snook there in the hottest times of the year wading around sunup or sundown. The water is deep there in the summer, too. So you can wade it winter in skinny water or summer in waist (chest!) deep water and catch fish.

Carry sabiki. You'll get bait in there too. At the very least you can catch pinfish and put them on for redfish. Use gold spoons back there, too. They're deadly. You should never wade (or fish for that matter) without a few in your bag. Weedless gold Johnson's.

Good you're back where fish are :)