Sign in to follow this  
lostmans1

Poons

whats up people.....been focusing on work and haven't been fishing much during the colder months but nothing gets my blood boiling like tarpon season.   Ill be out there this weekend and Monday and every other week after that.   Im sure ill sprinkle in some weaker tide trips but boy am I ready to fly some poons.   Saw a few around the skyway and a few around Egmont.  Hoping more fish have moved in this week.    Any old friends on here wanna get out there and hit em just give me a ring, you know im always down. 

ps:   If you are new to poon fishing don't anchor at Egmont, keep an eye out for anchor balls and its corresponding line at the bridges, and when making runs to the back of the pack make a wide loop around everyone and don't run through the middle of everyone.  Also make sure your lights are in working order.  Be safe out there peeps and be respectful to your peers.    For the record it is TOTALLY acceptable to blast the radio when you are hooked up to your favorite fight song.    

post-158525-0-47163200-1462569964_thumb.png

1-1 in the stinkpot so far.  A baby at 70#. No really good action shots, but they are here.

Debating to go for 'em in a kayak today, but the winds are iffy.  Tear 'em up.

Long time, no see Jack! Lets get together soon. My boat us currently for sale and once it sells my 2016 Bulls Bay 2200 will start being built. Once I get it we need to get out and catch up. Shoot me a text I lost your number.  

Britt and I tied the knot last month too. 

congrats on locking her down!   we went out Monday and I landed one at 100 lbs at the bridge. still need a few weeks to really get cranking on the fish at the bridge and the passes but guys are finding good pods on the beaches.   A lot of sharks out there right now too so get those fish in quick!

True words on the sharks.  I lost the first one ever to a shark a week or so ago.  Fish was whooped, leadered, boatside, decided it would go 3-5 yards deep; then line peeled off like mad and the line snapped on the single strand - I go fluro 4-5', double line 2', to single braid. It was a relatively quick fight - with 50# braid and a cabo 60 I put the stones to 'em quick now a days.

Bummer...

Well they are here in full swing... Finding good fish on the beaches and all the passes.   The skyway will hold the fish all summer long.  We have put a lot of fish in the air over the past few weeks.   A lot of big fish are here too.   we have landed 2 fish over the 150 mark and jumped a few more.    Some of my guide buddies have gotten a few 180+ fish.   Same thing with sharks too....if you are fighting fish in the passes good chance you will have some sort of shark encounter so be careful landing those fish.  If you are close to a beach, which you will be unless you are at the skyway have 1 guy on lookout while the other revives the fish.    make sure you hold onto that fish for a few minutes to revive it.....20 seconds wont do it after a long fight.   Last week my buddy fought a 150lb fish for over an hour and just as I went to grab it he started yelling "SHARK!!!".   It was a 12-14ft hammerhead and he flipped his bail, and I slammed the throttle and drove circles around the shark...the tail hit the leader and the fish got away.   There is no denying if a shark eats a tarpon, there will be blood!  

I have used both 7/0 hooks for threads/mullet/chunk bait and 5/0 for crabs.   I haven't used anything other than 60lb flouro for the past 3 years and I usually use 7-10 feet of leader, maybe slightly shorter if im trying to make long casts on the beach but I prefer a longer leader.   And always double that braid!   Spider hitch to an improved Albright for me.  

As usual I put all the pics on twitter and snapchat.

Lostmans1 on twitter and bigskip28 on snapchat.

get out there and fly some poons!