colibri2

Put In/take Out In Myakka River - Venice?

HI all,

A question! A friend is staying at the Rambler's Rest Campground on River Rd. in Venice for a few weeks. He'd like to put in at their site, and work/fish his way down-stream a couple of miles and take out near Hwy 41. The only good place to take out, that I can see, is at the Myakka River Oyster Bar which, for insurance reasons, won't let people use their ramp.

So, for those of you who might have travelled this stretch, where IS the best place to take out? (There IS a kayak launch in the Deep Prairie Reserve Park, but it's another mile up a small creek)

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Took a quick look on Google earth and saw at least 2 possible spots about 1/2 mile south of the 41 overpass on the east side of the river.

1 is close to the mouth of the 2nd major tributary/canal south of the overpass. It has 2 docks with boats stored on either side of a ramp and the Google earth shot shows kayaks lined up next to the ramp like its a kayak rental spot. (Schooner St goes right to it)

The other is just a small, obscure ramp at the back of a subdivision up just a ways into the 2nd canal south of the last spot mentioned. (where Alvarado and El Rio Dr meet)

Its impossible to tell or know whether these are public or private - available to use or not. But he could drive down there and scout out these or any other spots seen before he initially launches.

Pickgrin: Thanks for the note. I DO know that area a bit. Both of those areas are private...accessed through a gated community. I'm going to spend a little time today scoping it out in greater detail.

Thanks again!

I don't know if these guys are on this site, but they could help you out on your question. Get in touch with Steve Gipson, or Stumpmaster,/ John Roach.Google them names they should come up. They know the Myakka River area.