fixxer12

Summer fishing is tough!

Hi!

As I said in my first few posts, this is really my first year fishing. So....this is my first summer to fish through.

I fished from 1pm-4pm today in a local creek in lows 90s, sunny weather. Is this basically a bad idea all the time? If so, I'm assuming the recommendation to fish would be before 10am or after 5pm?

I used Zman fluke, Zman shadz, beetle spin, bisty minnow, Zman craw and trout magnet today. Only caught one longnose gar (that's a first...so that was an interesting unhooking adventure...) and a few bites after that. No more fish.

When I was stationed i the military in northern Texas I had ponds and lakes to fish from my 10' jon boat. Back in the early 70's I didn't know much about lures until I came back to NY. Even better was joining local bass clubs and fishing with far more experienced anglers. Knowing the water is always a priority. Time period of day sometimes matter such as fishing from 7 am to whatever hour  before it gets too hot to be outdoors. On other days especially in late spring/ eary summer on cloudy days, fish can be caught all day.  Fish are cold blooded and will strike lures even when the water temperature is near 88 degrees or as low as 36 degrees.

My best producing lures are soft plastic rigged on light ball head jigs though I've caught fish on every type of lure. I cast everywhere and slowly work lures with slight rod twitches and pauses, at different depths or on bottom. You got to find them before you can catch them so exploring many different areas is important.

You can only hope that the weather on some days will be fair. It may also help to check the weather forecast for the day so you know the best time to go fishing. Other than that, I hope things get better for you honestly. Your fishing enthusiasm should not wane. Keep keeping on!!